Set Yourself Up For Success
- Arrive early. Getting to class ten minutes early can help you settle in and align your attitude with the purpose of the class. While you are waiting, you can practice a pose, stretch, or just sit or lie quietly.
- Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate. You will sweat like crazy when you take class. It is vital that you drink plenty of water before coming to class. And please bring water with you, too!
- Avoid Eating Heavy Food Before Class. Give yourself an hour to digest any food before taking class. If you need energy before class, eating fruit that digests easily is best.
- Communicate injuries or special needs. Let your instructor know of any health concerns or injuries and skip postures that may exacerbate your injury or try a modified version.
- Create an intention. This will help you focus. You may find it helpful to dedicate your practice to a person or cause. Your intention might be to become more aware, understanding, loving, compassionate, healthier, stronger, or more skillful.
- Maintain the peace and quiet. Refrain from bringing in wireless phones or PDAs. Keep socializing outside of the studio as it is distracting to have extended or loud conversation in the yoga room. There is to be no talking in the yoga room. Arrive clean and free of scents that might distract or offend others.
- Don’t push it. Avoid comparing your practice to another’s. Do what you can without straining or injuring yourself. You will go farther faster by taking a loving attitude toward yourself and work from where you are rather than from where you think you should be.
- Pick up neatly. Put away any props and clean any water or sweat from the floor around you.
- Don’t enter class late or leave early. It is disruptive to others.
- Take time for reflection.
What People Are Saying
This place changed my life in more ways than I can ever write about in a few sentences. can’t say enough about the Yax family and the staff of powerful and impactful yogis they have taught.
Thank you for helping me find the better ME. I am forever grateful for you all.
Thank you Lindsey for an incredible practice! It was the perfect blend of instruction andguided imagery. I left feeling so refreshed and rejuvenated. I had been practicing on my own with videos at home, and this was my first group yoga class. There were yogis and yoginis of all levels in class so I never felt out of place. Can’t wait to come back!
Elizabeth Brady Pohoreskey
I have never done yoga before in my life. I just had my first class in Norfolk. The instructor was phenomenal. The whole experience felt personalized and the instructor helped me through the heat and the poses that I didn’t really understand. This is one of the best things that I have ever done. I will be coming back every week.
Karli June Brophy
I am not your obvious yoga student, but I want to say hot yoga has immensely helped my stiff joints , balance, and overall health. The owners and staff are class acts and very welcoming and friendly to all. Come and try it! I think you will keep coming back!
Ann C. Cleland
Most remarkable studios ever! The instructors are individually diverse in their personalities but equally remarkable in their instruction and classes. These studios strive to be compassionate to your own level but allow you to reach what you are capable of reaching!!! They are beautiful facilities with beautiful souls. Namaste.
Elizabeth Eckert Sorrell
I’m from out of town and bought the $49 out-of-towner unlimited yoga for the week. Well worth it! The fee includes a mat, towels, blocks, straps and knee pads. (Clean and new each time you come) All you have to do is bring yourself! You can even shower if you like and they will give a bag foryour sweaty clothes. Place is save to leave your stuff outside of the yoga room. Instructors are great!
I LOVED the candlelight sessions!! Just going to three classes in a week will make you money on this deal but you’ll want to go as much as your week allows!!!
I’ve been coming to the Ghent HHY for over a year now and it’s safe to say I’m totally addicted! It’s really made me realize my love for yoga and I feel so refreshed when I leave. AND I’ve become a morning person because of it! I go to the 6AM classes a couple of times every week! I’m in love with HHY.
I enjoy yoga so much, I definitely don’t practice enough. When I do go to a class I am so welcomed and love seeing all the familiar friendly faces and new caring faces. Thank you all for always being so inviting and kind. You all are my go to studio!
I started with Hot House Yoga about six weeks ago when one of the special ladies, TiAnn gave me a pass to come try it out. She knew from a conversation I was going through a difficult time in my life. From the moment I started and walked through the door the entire staff has made me feel so welcome!! Every time I practice I feel myself getting stronger and taller and feeling so awesome about being there. TiAnn, thank you for inviting me to change my life and the outcome! I am so grateful for all the ladies who help me to improve on my mat.
I have been a regular member with an unlimited membership which I started on March 19, 2013. I have lost more than 45lbs. My blood pressure and cholesterol are now well within normal limits. My glucose went from high-normal to low-normal. In addition, I see and feel a major difference in my flexibility, physical stamina, and stress levels. I love the many classes offered as part of my unlimited membership. I attended Meditation Essentials class and have started a meditation practice as well. I don’t just “do” yoga. I have learned the importance of practicing yoga on and off the mat. I have learned the theory and yoga philosophy and have increased discipline and have learned to focus.
I love it! Hot House Yoga is OMazing. I am sure it will help add years to my life. Thank you and Namasté.
My home away from home! This place is so peaceful and filled with beautiful people! I am change person, both physically and soulfully because of Hot House Yoga and the Yax Family! Bless you all… Namaste!
This place was my one solace during my stressful years of grad school at VCU. Grateful that it exists! And even though I no longer live in Richmond, I still value the calm and peace created here.
Love this studio! Extremely clean and courteous. It has a good blend of asana and meditation practice. Great for beginners and more advanced students. Also, went thru their teacher training with Yax Yoga Concepts and it was a life changing experience. Definitely recommend to all levels..
There aren’t enough stars to convey what this place and its people have meant to me. To say that it is my ‘happy place’ isn’t quite enough either. It’s life-altering in the most beautiful of way if that is what you want, need and are ready for. And, if you just want to look great and feel better than you’ve ever felt, it’s that place too. So grateful.
Marianne Williams Winesett